What is urinary incontinence?
Urinary incontinence is the inability to control bladder movements. This symptom can range in severity, from occasionally leaking urine when you cough or sneeze to a sudden, strong urge to urinate.
What are the different types of incontinence?
Urinary incontinence can come in many forms, including:
- Stress, which occurs when pressure is placed on the bladder. Urine may leak out when you laugh, sneeze, cough, exercise or lift something heavy.
- Urge, which occurs when you have a sudden, intense urge to urinate, followed by an involuntary loss of urine. You will often feel the need to urinate, even during the night.
- Overflow, which occurs when the bladder doesn’t completely empty. You will experience constant, frequent dribbling of urine.
- Functional, which occurs when a mental or physical impairment prevents you from reaching the toilet in time. This is a can be a common issue for those with severe arthritis.
- Mixed, which occurs when you have more than one of the types above.
What are the causes?
Urinary incontinence is a symptom, not a disease. It can be caused by underlying medical conditions, physical problems and everyday habits. Certain foods, drinks and medications can stimulate your bladder and increase your volume of urine. Alcohol, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, heart and blood pressure medications and muscle relaxants can all act as diuretics (increased production of urine). The following can also contribute to persistent bladder issues:
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Changes in age
- Bladder stones
- Bladder cancer
- Prior pelvic surgery including hysterectomy
- An enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia)
- Neurological disorders (i.e. back or spine surgery, spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s, etc.)
How Laser Aesthetic treats urinary incontinence
At Laser Aesthetic in Methuen, we provide Viveve feminine rejuvenation treatments to treat urinary incontinence in women. If you suffer from stress incontinence as a result of vaginal laxity, these treatments can tighten and strengthen the vaginal walls, urethra and tissues behind the bladder to prevent future leakage. Instead of surgery, the Viveve System provides sustained tissue tightening and strengthening by substantially heating the tissue at depth. By heating the areas with cryogen-cooled monopolar radiofrequency, new collagen will be stimulated. This new collagen will help to tighten and hydrate your intimate areas, resulting in less leakage. Stress urinary incontinence can be treated with just one 30-45 minute procedure.
Schedule a Free Consultation in Merrimack Valley
If you are a woman suffering from stress urinary incontinence, schedule a consultation at Laser Aesthetic. We currently provide free consultations at our spa in Methuen, so request your appointment today! You can reach us by phone at (978) 685-2737, or you can request your free consultation online.